Thursday, November 04, 2004

Stress less

Define stress.

A mentally or emotionally disruptive or upsetting condition occurring in response to adverse external influences and capable of affecting physical health, usually characterized by increased heart rate, a rise in blood pressure, muscular tension, irritability, and depression; A stimulus or circumstance causing such a condition; A state of extreme difficulty, pressure, or strain. (www.dictionary.com)

Wow... Stress affects us physically, mentally and emotionally without a doubt. But to what degree does it affect us? Most of the time, we decide.

Stress also means importance, significance, or emphasis placed on something, which reflects our priorities. What are the main issues in life that stresses us? Those are our priorities. Putting our priorities in place and having wisdom in managing our time well solve half the problem.

I agree with Raine's perspective on handling stress... It basically means to be aware of stress and yet, able to use it for our good and not be controlled by it. We are called to be "the head and not the tail... above... and not be beneath" (Deuteronomy 28:13), over and not under! (And I don't mean "over-stressed" or "under-stressed".)

Stress stretches us and brings the best or the worst in us. Do we run a little faster and maximise our potential or squirt lemon juice when "squeezed"?

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens (strains, tensions, stress), and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light." - Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

With God in perspective, we don't become stress-less but we simply stress less, my friends. Smile! =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home